Affecting player movement speed – BE Beta 6 + VR with Unity

Hi there! I have a couple of questions…

I am just starting to explore with the Bridge Engine and Unity. My main goal is to be able to do VR with 6-DOF positioning tracking, that feels real. It is awesome and very promising, but right now I feel a bit desperate and frustated with the performance I am getting.

But, I am having some issues:

1. Which is the best scanning environment setup: natural light, artificial light, no windows, no objects at all, lots of small objects… Can you please share your experience with that? Ideally I want to scan a rectangular flat and empty space, like a photo studio room… Is it an issue if al the walls are flat and white? Is it better?

2. Do you have any success scanning an area more than 10x10ft? Is there any trick, like don’t scan the ceiling…

3. I want to affect how the player moves inside the scene. Do you have any examples or directions to point me to? Which script controls the player transform position/movement?

4. I am experience lots of crashes in different stages of the scanning process: when “memorising”, just after “memorizing”, just after “starting unity” message… Any ideas which part of the setup could be causing them?

5. Also the battery of my 6s gets drained REALLY fast. Is there any way we could attach an lightning connector splitter so we can use an external battery to help the phone?

Many thanks!

Unity Version: 2017.2.0f3
Xcode: Version 9.1 (9B55)
Device: iPhone 6S
Device iOS verrsion: 11.0.3
BE: Beta 6.2

Hi Arturmiglio!

To answer some of your questions:

1. A couple of general tips:
  • Avoid direct sunlight. The sun is brighter than the projector on the Structure Sensor :sun_with_face:
  • Avoid windows when possible, they won’t be scanned into the scene
  • Objects VS no objects usually isn’t too much of a concern EXCEPT when you’re scanning an otherwise plain space. Flat white walls are bad for tracking on any SLAM based system, there isn’t enough visual information for the camera to accurately locate itself. In the case of a clean white room additional objects and items on the wall will make a big difference
  1. You can scan larger spaces, but we’ve found 10 x 10 to be a size that consistently feels good and performant. You can scan larger areas, but as you expand you’ll begin to see a performance trade off. This can be mitigated by doing more ‘lightweight’ scans. IE not scanning the ceiling, not scanning under objects etc. There’s a lot of room to play around! Try scanning multiple spaces and you’ll get a feel for what works. Another note here is that the generation of iPhone you’re using will also have an impact. An iPhone 8 will handle larger spaces better than the iPhone 6…

2. The Bridge Engine Unity Plugin doesn’t currently contain a player move controller. It should be simple to script up, or you could pull in something from the asset store. The Bridge Engine is open source, if you do make a move controller yourself and it’s something you’re proud of it you could make a pull request and see it integrated into the engine!

3. Crashes when scanning sound unusual. I’ll DM you for more information and we’ll get to the bottom of this :slight_smile:

4. A Lightning splitter wont work unfortunately, but we’re thinking about this issue too and exploring solutions.

PS: 100 Bonus points for providing all the version information!

Hi Jacob!

Thanks for the clarifying reply!

About the 3rd point we are developing something super specific, so I don’t think this could be incorporated in the engine itself. We are messing with the cameras/scene position to achieve what we need. I don’t think a lot of people would want that. But I will be happy to share our results with you!