Announcing Structure SDK 0.7.1: Enhanced Calibration and Improved Memory Usage

Update (February 5, 2018): We’re announcing Structure SDK 0.7.1 - a follow-up maintenance update to Structure SDK 0.7, which is considered a major release. Thank you to community members who identified a few things that only required quick fixes.

Today, we’re pleased to announce the release of Structure SDK 0.7! This is considered a major update to Structure SDK with a focus on support for Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) and a host of performance updates under the hood. From all of us at Occipital, we hope you enjoy this latest and greatest Structure SDK.

Structure SDK 0.7 introduces new features that take advantage of Apple’s OIS (available in newer iOS devices). To take full advantage of the new OIS-enhanced calibration, your Structure SDK apps must be updated with this new release. Until then, apps will still perform as well as they did before.

Structure SDK 0.7 also includes the following enhancements:

• A memory leak was fixed that could lead to problems after long-duration usage.
  • Unity plugins have been updated to support Unity 2017.
  • As always, a host of minor bug fixes that, cumulatively, will provide a better app experience for your app users.
  • Several APIs have been simplified and improved.

For a full list of changes in this update, please see the Release Notes further below.

Download

Download Structure SDK 0.7.1

OIS Comparison

In the image below, notice the shift of the shaded area upwards when the
OIS compensation is triggered by flipping the device upside-down.

With OIS compensation, the shaded area aligns properly to the underlying geometry in the scene. Your results may vary.

Full Release Notes

Calibration and Camera

• Calibration now provides better support for Apple’s Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) on the 10.5-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation) models, as well as iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X models. Lenses with OIS will shift when the device is rotated or moved, and this update compensates for the shift in realtime.
  • Camera feed can now retrieve camera intrinsics provided by Apple’s framework:
    • Third-party apps must inject code into their avCaptureSession to access this feature. An example is in Scanner App: ViewController+Camera.mm, line 288 to 297. This section of code must be placed before the call to [self.avCaptureSession startRunning].
    • Utilizing this feature is the only way for developers to guarantee a consistent calibration on newer iOS devices (highly recommended).

Stability

• Fixed a memory leak that occurred when the sensor was plugged in, regardless of whether a Structure SDK app was running or not.
  • Scanning stability is improved, and certain occasional latencies in 6-DoF pose have been removed.
  • And many minor under the hood updates that will generally improve your app’s performance.

Platform Support

• Structure SDK Unity plugins have been upgraded to support newer Unity versions 5.3.4f1, 2017.1.1f1, and 2017.2.0f3.
  • We’ve removed armv7, armv7s, and i386 architectures from the Structure SDK binary. These include devices with an A6 processor or older (e.g. iPhone 5C and iPad 4th Generation). Devices equipped with the A7 processor or newer continue to be supported. A7-equipped devices start with iPhone 5S, iPad Air, and iPad mini 2.

API Changes

• STMeshIntersector is a new utility class that replaces STMesh’s intersectWithRayOrigin to compute the intersection of a ray to the mesh.
  • STScene initWithContext no longer needs the freeGLTextureUnit argument.
  • STCameraPoseInitializerOutput lastOutput replaces the cameraPose, hasValidPose, and hasSupportPlane methods in STCameraPoseInitializer.
  • STStreamConfigRegisteredDepth640x480 and STStreamConfigRegisteredDepth320x240 have been deprecated in favor of STStreamConfigDepth640x480and STStreamConfigDepth320x240, respectively. STStreamConfigDepth640x480and STStreamConfigDepth320x240 should now be used with registeredToColorFrame to achieve depth-to-color registration.

Structure SDK 0.6.2 Now Available
Announcing Structure SDK 0.6: New & Improved Object Scanning
Announcing Structure SDK 0.6.2
Welcome To The Structure Sensor & Structure SDK Forums - Read Me First!

I have problem with SDK 0.7

The issue you are having is from using a device with an A6 processor or older, as we have removed support for armv7, armv7s, and i386 architectures.

If you’d still like to use the device you have, you will need to use an older version of the Structure SDK.

I would also suggest removing armv7 from the list of supported architectures. You can do so from the xcode project build setting where it says Architectures. I’ve added a photo for reference:

Hi! I am trying to build from Unity to ios 10.3.2
Using xcode 7.3
Unity 5.3.5f1 (tried unity 2017 too)
and the AR package
Not working-
“could not find developer disk image”
when I try to deploy to my iPad.
Help!

same thing for Unity 5.3.3

Xcode 7 was designed to work with iOS 9 and below. My theory is that you will need to update your version of Xcode to, at least, Xcode 8 to work correctly with iOS 10.

Here is a feature release article of Xcode 7 and it states that it will work with iOS 9:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/WhatsNewXcode/Chapters/xcode_7_0.html

I’ve answered your issue more completely on your forum thread, found here: building for ios 10.3.2

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any more issues with the Structure SDK.

We have a new SDK beta that we released to customers last week. If anyone would like to be part of the Structure SDK 0.8 Beta program and release, please send me a private message.

Thanks,
@anthony.monaco