Announcing Structure SDK (for iOS) 0.10 : Featuring Structure Sensor (Mark II) Support

Today we are pleased to announce the release of Structure SDK (for iOS) 0.10! This is considered a major update to Structure SDK (for iOS) with a focus on support for the all NEW Structure Sensor (Mark II). From all of us at Occipital, we hope you enjoy this latest and greatest Structure SDK (for iOS).

The Structure SDK (for iOS) 0.10 includes the following:

• Support for both the original Structure Sensor and Structure Sensor (Mark II)
  • Supports scanning outdoors (using Structure Sensor (Mark II))
  • For the most part Structure SDK 0.10 is backward compatible with the previous Structure SDK (for iOS) API.
  • New API’s (see more below)

New APIs have been introduced:
– Structure Sensor (Mark II) supports depth stream presets such Room-Scanning & Close-Range. These are set when starting monitoring on the capture session (see STCaptureSession startMonitoringWithOptions), or when streaming is started on the sensor controller (see STSensorController startStreamingWithOptions:error:). See the reference docs for more information.

– Structure Sensor (Mark II) supports custom IR exposure which can help when configuring the sensor to operate in different environments (including outdoors!). You can set the exposure via the STCaptureSession properties using the kSTCaptureSessionPropertySensorIRExposureModeKey and kSTCaptureSessionPropertySensorIRExposureValueKey.

– Structure Sensor (Mark II) supports changing the analog gain of the IR frames of the sensor as well. This can help operating in bright environments (like outdoors) in addition to modifying the IR exposure. This can be set using the kSTCaptureSessionPropertySensorAnalogGainModeKey in the STCaptureSession properties.

Known Issues:
You may observe the message "please put the model back in view" in Scanner right after starting a scan. If you observe this happening more often than what happens with the original Structure Sensor, please contact us at developers@occipital.com

Updated Applications
In addition to the introduction of Structure Sensor (Mark II) support, our sample apps have been updated to accommodate some new features.

Room Capture

• A new settings menu has been introduced. It can be found by pressing the settings gear icon in the top left corner. Examples of this are changing the exposure and gain settings on the IR camera, to better adjust to different lighting conditions in your scans.
  • Some UI buttons have been given updated graphics. We hope you like our new icons!
  • A tracking bug has been fixed in Room Capture that was present in the last version (1.9.1). The scan position will no longer shift relative to objects’ position in the background color feed.
  • A new calibration overlay has been added to the Room Capture sample that provides better instructions for calibrating with our wide-vision lens attachment.
  • A bug has been fixed where toggling the wide-vision lens switch could crash the app.
  • A bug has been fixed where backgrounding the app or receiving a notification could crash the app.

Scanner

• A new settings menu has been introduced. It can be found by pressing the settings gear icon in the top left corner. Examples of this are changing the exposure and gain settings on the IR camera, to better adjust to different lighting conditions in your scans.
  • Some UI elements have been shifted or resized to better fit in iPhone layouts.- Some UI buttons have been given updated graphics. We hope you like our new icons!
  • We have also introduced the concept of sensor depth stream presets. These presets are a work-in-progress, but should provide better depth coverage when doing body-scanning or scanning outdoors. Select these options (i.e. Default, Body-Scanning, Outdoors) from the settings gear in the top left corner of the app.
  • A new calibration overlay has been added to the Scanner sample that provides better instructions for calibrating when approximate calibrations are not available, e.g. when using custom iPhone cases.
  • A bug has been fixed where backgrounding the app or receiving a notification could crash the app.

Viewer

• Viewer now renders depth as RGBA on ST01 and ST02A. An SDK function now performs the conversion rather than raw code provided in the SDK. You can still perform your own
    conversion manually.
  • applyExpensiveCorrection is applied to depth frames in the Viewer sample.

pinned #2

unlisted #3

listed #4

Will there be any updated to enhance the texture output of the 3D scanned object, making the results of the scan closer to the quality of itseez3D? Or will the Mark II simply help produce that level of quality?

I just received my Mark II sensor, and downloaded the sample apps. The Calibration app detects the sensor, but no other apps (Structure, Room Capture, etc…) detect the sensor.

Should the versions of the Structure app and other sample apps currently available in the App store be expected to recognize the Mark II sensor?

maybe battery is dead as mine
the scanner and unboundedTracker sample code from sdk 0.10 work
the unboundedTracker has battery indicator.
For my case, the battery level is 0

My battery on both the Ipad and Structure Sensor are fully charged. I refreshed the Ipad to factory settings (ios 12.4.1). Re-downloaded structure app, calibration app. Only the calibration app sees the sensor, and this actually crashed halfway through the calibration process.

Does anyone else have a working Mark 2 sensor? Or do I have to build the sample apps from scratch to support the new hardware?

Thanks,

Hi!
My Mark II arrived early this week and I confess I’ve had a lot of trouble getting it to work. At first the scanner recognized it was attached to an ipad, but wouldn’t connect. I thought maybe it required calibration to work. The calibration required multiple attempts, 6+, I’ve yet to get the Structure SDK to work. I read that the only apps ready for the Mark II are Calibration, Scanner and Room. The Scanner app is spotty at best. I haven’t tried the Room app. Is the Structure SDK ready for the Mark II?
I’m new to 3D scanning. Is there a step by step manual or series of videos targeted at the novice? The text in your post is way over my head.
Gerry

Hey Gerry,

Your experience is similar to mine.

I just got the room scanner to work by building from the SDK sample and pushing to my iPad.

My experience with the calibrator is about the same. It intermittently recognizes the scanner, typically crashes the app at some point during the calibration process.

I’ve been using the calibrator app from the app store, I’m going to see if I can find example code and build the calibrator app with SDK 0.10 and see if that works better…

Similar experience here - managed to get the Calibrator, Scanner and Room Capture apps to see the sensor the Structure app (and others) just won’t see it (all from App Store).

Thank you for your feedback. We don’t comment on our future product roadmap but we do take feedback from our users.

At this time the current apps that work with Structure Sensor (Mark II) and are available through the app store are Calibrator, Scanner and Room Capture. If these do not work you may need to update your apps through the App store.

Canvas and Structure will be coming soon in addition to Skanect. 3rd party developers are also working on updating their apps. You can find a current list here: https://support.structure.io/article/401-what-apps-can-i-use-with-structure-sensor-mark-ii

We will also be posting a weekly update about supported apps to the forums as well.

Within the Structure SDK (for iOS) you can also use the Viewer app.

More to come.

So I cannot calibrate the Mark II on my iPad 12.9" (first gen). I literally spent about 3 hours doing so before giving up.

The calibration app is unstable and crashes after a couple minutes.

The other occipital apps recog the sensor but rely on the calibration to be completed (even though I can see the scanning happening behind the irritating “Not calibrated” dialog.)

I did manage to use the ‘TapMeasure’ app with no issues with the MarkII.

The itseez3d app just moans that the sensor has insufficient power (but it doesn’t support the mark II).

Regarding the quality of the textures, itseez3d uses a smart way of apply the textures, i.e. it doesn’t use all the imagery captured, and then stitches a couple together to apply. It works really well. I think the quality is related to how they smartly use the textures.

Petr