Occipital Bridge Engine Pre-Release Announcement

Hello everyone,
We’ve been working on something new here at Occipital called Bridge Engine. Some of you have already seen our teaser videos on YouTube of Bridge Engine capabilities (and we noticed the discussion on the Forums). So we’d like to share a few more details about the features of Bridge Engine.

Bridge Engine is a dynamic mixed reality software framework & authoring tool that enables compelling, room-scale augmented reality and virtual reality experiences applicable to various industries and physical environments. You can intersperse 3D assets into your environment, or bring your environment into a completely virtual world. Assets and animations are managed through Xcode, while pinning assets and interactions into your unique environment happen from your device. Bridge Engine includes the following features:

###Relocalization
The Bridge Engine excels at what is commonly referred to as relocalization. When a Bridge Engine based application starts, simply pointing the Structure Sensor enabled device at a pre-captured scene quickly and automatically synchronizes the 3D scene’s virtual camera in relationship to the user’s position in the real world. This is essential for displaying your augmented reality models with high visual quality and accuracy.

###6-DoF Tracking With Depth & Color
A pre-scan of your environment using Structure Sensor provides the 3D mesh and color data that enables real-time, high-accuracy camera tracking. Tracking failure caused by blur, sudden motion and occlusion are minimized. In addition, the RGB camera can be blinded while the system will continue to track against your mesh. As the camera view returns from being blinded, your 3D assets will recover seamlessly and display on screen with minimal delay.

###Tight Low-Latency Coupling Between Vision and Graphics
The engine schedules color, depth and IMU tracking and rendering for mono and stereo. It also manages real-world occlusions with virtual objects as they are rendered into your environment scene. This includes components from the SceneKit, such as physics, particle effects and shadows on virtual and real objects.

###Extension of Structure Sensor SDK
Bridge Engine lives on top of the iOS Structure SDK while using advanced functionality of SceneKit and OpenGL ES.

###Planning Mobile VR Support Out-of-the-box
Initial Beta included stereo settings for the Homido Mini. Let us know which mobile HMD kits you’d like us to include settings for.

###Bridge Engine Beta We wanted to thank the following companies who were _brave_ enough to participate in our closed beta program a few weeks ago. They jumped into a nascent version of our Bridge Engine API and documentation and applied the power of Bridge Engine to their specific use cases. We learned a lot from their valuable feedback including bugs & feature requests for future releases. And they even built applications that demonstrate how powerful Bridge Engine can be in various scenarios and conditions. The Bridge Engine Beta lasted only a week and we were impressed with how quickly they were able to produce results. You can see what they created in a limited amount of time in our [Bridge Engine Private Beta Demos Compilation Video on Youtube](https://youtu.be/cL9qr2N-yeA).

The participating companies include:

If you’re interested in getting early access to the pre-release version of the Bridge Engine Beta please send me a DM via the Forums. Access is limited, so please follow the requirements below.

• Must have a Structure Sensor
  • Comfortable with iOS Xcode/SceneKit
  • Proposed application to build with Bridge Engine, and proposed launch date (if applicable)
  • Willing to share information/videos about your Bridge Engine developments with the community - we’d like to share these at events and promote on social media
  • iOS device with A8 chip or newer for optimal Bridge Engine performance. (Including iPad Air 2, Mini 4, iPhone 6s)
  • Signed Occipital NDA (our API is still pre-release and confidential)

We hope you’re as excited about the possibilities of Bridge Engine as we are. Live demos at the Consumer Electronics Show, Game Developers Conference, Autodesk’s REAL 2016, San Francisco VR Meetup events, Super Ventures Launch Party and the San Francisco VR Hackathon have garnered a very positive reception. We will continue to improve Bridge Engine and have progressively more public releases. While there is no announcement at this time about a completely public launch of Bridge Engine, we’re committed to ensure that all Beta participants are able to launch their creations on their schedules.

Mark Piszczor
Developer Program Manager
Occipital, Inc.
“Capture The World In 3D”

Occipital HQ YouTube Channel Videos on Bridge Engine

5 Likes

Awesome stuff to create with!

3 Likes

amazing stuff and really useful :wink:
I’d really love the worksite video and I wonder if you are planning to let us use it inside Unity. I’ve been involved in industrial maintenance instruction using AR (Unity & Vuforia) but your mixed reality approach could we a game changer.

@dromero, we’re currently exploring game engine support for Bridge Engine. In the past we’ve had to spend a great deal of engineering cycles on fixing our plugins after Unity releases an update. Not having access to Unity’s source is a real pain, so we’re treading lightly here.

thank you @markpi… eager to see your progresses…!

1 Like

Check out our latest Youtube video for a test running Bridge Engine on multiple devices in the same area.

Demonstration of Robust Relocalization & Tracking Using 6 Structure Sensor Devices In Co-located Space.

Multiple structured light IR patterns and activity of people walking around in the environment did not prevent relocalization & tracking of an augmented reality scene.

People are already tweeting about it. Hope you enjoy!

1 Like

Hi,
I already have one of the scanners i bought for my ipad. I also have the OSX usb connector. Honestly I never got it working on mac and found that without the Bridge access or VR stuff I wasn’t going to get what I needed out of this very very expensive tool.

I’d rather not have to spend money on a totally new “VR” version of the kit and have it collect dust as well. Is it possible to get the none structure sensor parts separately as a developer? I’m developing forensic tools for CSI work as well as working with META and my 360Cam to make this work navigable.

Hoping you guys can provide me with what I need and particularly the bridge code since I need to do AR work. Like navigate a crime scene.

I don’t mind exchanging my current structure sensor or buying what’s around the sensor.

Feel free to email me or pm.

Thanks,
Synt

1 Like

David,
Providing you with Bridge Engine beta access won’t be a problem. We’ve made considerable progress with the engine since my original announcement post so we’re opening up access to a wider group. My recommendation here is develop on Bridge Engine with your iPad first, then explore the VR Dev Kit after you’re comfortable with your results on the iPad. I’ll follow-up with you via email.

Mark

1 Like

Hi!
When will the bridge engine be supported in unity on windows or android?
I’m working on an immersive VR game, and would really like, to use the bridge engine on those systems
I’ve applied to Beta, but got no response for now.

1 Like

@filipe.silva, while Bridge Engine is in beta, it’s available only on iOS. If you’d still like to have access and meet all of the requirements (listed below) then let me know and I can provide access.

• Must have a Structure Sensor
  • Comfortable with iOS Xcode/SceneKit
  • Proposed application to build with Bridge Engine, and proposed launch date (if applicable)
  • Willing to share information/videos about your Bridge Engine developments with the community - we’d like to share these at events and promote on social media
  • iOS device with A8 chip or newer for optimal Bridge Engine performance. (Including iPad Air 2, Mini 4, iPhone 6s)
  • Signed Occipital NDA (our API is still pre-release and confidential)
1 Like

@markpi We have just got our Bridge Explorers kit, could we get access to the Bridge Engine? We saw that the SDK should be available to us now but cant find it anywhere and not been sent any emails.

1 Like

We’re in the same boat as @markpi and are looking to get access to the Bridge Engine. Please advise! Thanks.

@andrew.sharples & @robert.lester,
Thanks for reaching out, and for your purchase of the Explorer Edition Bridge headset.

We’re adding the final touches to the latest features of our next version release of Bridge Engine, including the new positional-tracking VR Unity plugin and our Bridget path-finding application available on the App Store. We’d like nothing more than to get Bridge Engine and the Bridget app into your hands as soon as possible, and we want to make sure it’s in the best functional state before shipping it.

In the next couple of days you’ll receive a Getting Started email covering the basics including how to access our documentation and code.

We’re very close and our engineers are working very hard to make sure we don’t disappoint.

We appreciate your patience,
Mark

1 Like

Thank you @markpi for the update! We’re looking forward to getting started and will keep an eye out for an email. Cheers.

1 Like

At the risk of adding another annoying “me too” post - I am also looking forward to use the Bridge Engine with the Explorer!

Thanks @markpi, I set this topic to be watched for any future updates.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help speed up that process.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your eagerness to jump into Bridge Engine. All Bridge headset purchasers should have received a Getting Started email sent to the email on record from the purchase transaction. Email includes steps on how to access the the latest Bridge Engine Beta v0.3. If you have any questions, please contact support+bridge@structure.io.