Pros/Cons of Scanner vs Skanect vs ItSeez3D

Dear Structure sensor enthusiasts,

I would like to find out what you see as the pros and cons of the software available with/for the Structure sensor. So far I have played with Scanner and ItSeez3D from the Apple App Store, as well as Skanect. I am interested in reverse-engineering small objects for 3D printing applications.

It seems to me:

1. ItSeez3D and Scanner benefit from a program that runs on the IPad so that the user can set the bounding box while pointing the sensor to the object of interest.

2. ItSeez3D has some features in the high-quality cloud processing, namely it can isolate the main object of interest as well as seal the lower surface. Do either Skanect or Scanner offer comparable post-processing? I believe that it is feasible with mesh repair to make the mesh watertight, including inserting a lower plane, when not provided by Skanect or Scanner.

3. Scanner can track an object on a turntable, using the older tracking algorithm, while ItSeez3D does not; one has to walk around the object for the latter software to track.

4. Because Skanect requires a separate machine for processing including bounding box selection, what does it offer that Scanner and ItSeez3D do not?

Thanks for your kind support.

Michel

Scanning an object by rotating it

@maudette

1. Correct. The bounding box can be modified on screen whereas the bounding box is set prior to the scan in Skanect.

2. Since Skanect works on your PC instead of the iPad the processing power is better. Skanect also offers some light editing features.

3. Skanect is the more preferred application when using a turntable but keep in mind that you will want to set “Track Loss Detection = OFF” Set it to ON when you are not using a turntable but instead walking around the subject.

4. Skanect can also offer a more complex mesh in comparison to the iPad apps. With the iTunes version of Scanner app the typical amount of vertices is around 50,000 whereas with Skanect the typical amount is around 2,000,000. As mentioned above you have some light editing available. Plus, you can export to: (OBJ, PLY, STL or VRML) and upload directly to Sketchfab or Shapeways.

Skanect offers far more granularity in the scan process. I scan people, mostly, and people in large costumes that can be pretty weird on top of that. ItSeez3D gives me absolutely terrible visual feedback so I end up wasting more time with that than I do Skanect. On top of that, if you are using a fast computer, you don’t need to wait for half an hour or more to see your results. At most, 2-3 minutes. Unfortunately, Skanect can’t utilize the iPad camera the same way that ItSeez3D does, so you’re trading quickness, granularity, and better mesh for ItSeez3D’s fantastic textures.

If you aren’t interested in color, are scanning people or parts of people, and are more interested in shape and measurements, check out M3DScan. Free on App Store. Also works with iPhones if you have a 3D-printed bracket.

I mainly used Skanect, but due to the superior photo sampling ItSeez3D became my new go to.

Unfortunately ItSeez3D, originally free, now charges $7 (or so) per scan.