Settings for Skanect Uplink with Structure Sensor

Here are my preferred settings when using Structure Sensor with Skanect.

Settings

• Feedback Quality = Medium
  • Offline Recording = All Frames
  • Force QVGA = OFF
  • Track Loss Detection = ON
  • Depth = Depth & Color
  • Uplink Color Gain = Locked on Record

Process

• Watertight = Low/Medium
  • Colorize ->
  • Resolution = 2/3 mm
  • Inpaint Colorless = ON
  • Highest Quality = ON
  • Face Mode = ON (Person) otherwise OFF

Tips

Create a config.ini file with the line (centre-y-as-height-percent = .75) and upload it to “Prepare -> New -> Config file”
(This will allow you to start scanning at someone’s face as opposed to their torso = 75% height level)

The best scans that I have seen use bright but diffused artificial (not sunlight) lighting from multiple sources to illuminate the subject and eliminate shadows. What we have done in the past is attach 2 of these lights to the back of our iPad with velcro when we are going to be at an offsite location with unknown light sources.

You want your Bounding box to be just a slightly bigger than your subject but not overly big or else you will saturate the results. For instance if I wanted to scan a standing person I would typically set the following:

• Bounding box = 1.1 x 2.2 x 1.1
  • Aspect ratio = Height x 2

If the person is taller than 6’ you will need to increase the bounding box size.

If I just wanted to just get the head and shoulders I might use the following:

• Bounding box = 0.6 x 0.6 x 0.6
  • Aspect ratio = Normal

When you are starting a scan of a person, start the capture at the face first, then take one step to the left to capture the side of the nose, then continue to the right and around the subject in a spiral fashion (similar to a tornado). I would not recommend going back to the person’s face again if you can avoid it.

You may need to make a sweep up the back at the end and do a top down view in order to capture the top of the head.

You want to aim to get a continuous 30-ish FPS in Skanect when scanning. Some great things to try if you are not already:

• Ensure Skanect is the only program running.

• Disable your firewall or antivirus to see if that helps.

• Invest in a upgrade to a more recent and powerful CUDA-capable NVIDIA GPU, if you can.

Once you get into the swing of things you will soon adapt to your own preferences, but in the meantime this should help you get started.