SimpleOpenNI and Processing

Has anyone managed to get the Structure.io sensor working with SimpleOpenNI and Processing? From what I can figure, the SimpleOpenNI might not have ever gotten updated to work with OpenNI2 on Mac, although maybe on Linux.

It would be great to use the Structure sensor in Processing for some simple projects. Maybe I’m missing something?

1 Like

Ok— not sure what I did, but somehow I got simple-openni working in Processing + the structure sensor on a late-2013 13" Retina Macbook Pro. It’s kind of cool, and at least lowers the barrier for trying quick fun things out with the ‘hacker cable.’

I think one of the things I just realized is that the USB connection is a little touchy for some reason and I also have to unplug/plug the cable when stopping/starting separate sketches. Anyhow, I’m realizing too late that the only special thing that the Structure Sensor adds to the whole 3d scanning thing is the iOS portable piece, whereas a Kinect also seems to come with the color camera built in but has to operate tethered.

At least right now I don’t have to buy a Kinect to do some dumb art projects. On a side note, I think it’s unfortunate that a lot of the promised functionality that the iOS implementation was supposed to add to the game has been delayed. I’m also surprised I haven’t seen a lot out there regarding the pros/cons of the Structure vs the Kinect for various purposes.

I still haven’t been able to figure out how to get SimpleOpenNI to recognize the Structure sensor as an OpenNI device. Could you share the exact steps you use to get access to the Structure sensor from SimpleOpenNI? I’m on a 15" 2011 Macbook Pro, and I have never had problems getting my Kinects to show up.