Skanect - Bad quality

I tried to make a scan of a person to be used as a basis for 3D printing. Unfortunately, the scan result is not that great. Any idea why? Is it related to the used hardware?

The following was used:

• Laptop: Lenovo G50 (i7-4510U), integrated graphics (no CUDA, intel), 8 gig of memory, WiFi, or LAN
  • Scanner: Structure Sensor (1st generation) combined with an iPad (2018)
  • Software: Skannect Pro 1.10.2 on Windows 10

Frame rate: 8 - 10 fps

I tried to scan a chair with similar result!

model1|690x387

No feedback, even from the manufacturer?

Hi @kikkeraap,

There are quite a few reasons why your scans might be turning out like that, but rest assured, your scans should look better than the image you posted.

The first few things to consider are:

• How is your scene set up? Do you have even light, away from sunlight? Or are you near sunlight, which can add extra IR light that will negatively affect your scan? It is best to ensure your scan is away from sunlight (even indirect sunlight).
  • Is your sensor’s glass plate free of smudges? This can easily hurt your scanning. If it is smudged, please clean it with a microfiber cloth and a cleaning solution.
  • How fast are you scanning? The best way to capture a scan is to stop every 10-15 degrees around your object to allow your mesh to refine. If you scan too quickly, your mesh may end up as rough as the scan pictured.

If these tips don’t seem to help, please post a screen recording so we can see what’s happening! (For instructions on how to record your screen, please check out this article by Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935)

@miles, thanks for the feedback.

The scene setup: the scan was done indoors, during the evening. It concerned a normal lighted room and the subject was placed on a turntable.
I’ll check if the plate is free of smudges, but note if I use an iPad based app, the scan result is much better.
The subject is placed on a turntable at 0.5 rpm.

So based on your feedback, can I conclude that the matter is not related to the used hardware (e.g. old laptop)?

@kikkeraap part of it could be due to hardware, as older computers may drop frames more frequently than newer computers.

When using Skanect and a turntable, it’s important to also make sure to turn Track Loss Detection off, as this tells the software that the object will be turning.

Again, while it can be tempting to just let the turntable turn at a continual pace, it is better to stop it every 10-15 degrees to allow the sensor a chance to refine its mesh.

The problem is resolved. I invested in a new laptop (i7, GTX1660ti). This resulted in the quality is was hoping for.

2 Likes

@kikkeraap great to hear!

For those who are interested, if you wish to utilize your GPU with Skanect, we recommend having a CUDA-friendly GPU with a compute capability of 5.0 or higher. For other information on GPU enablement, I have written an article available for viewing here: https://support.structure.io/article/434-how-do-i-enable-gpu-fusion-in-skanect