Structure Core VS Intel Realse D400s?

Hi,

I was curious on the quality of the point cloud from the structure core compared to the intel realsense. I understand that the D415 is for more accurate point clouds and the D430/D435 is more for motion/moving objects. Quality wise is the structure core point clouds less “wavy”? Would someone be able to share an ascii/xyz file of a flat wall? I have a D415 and I can post one as well… I am just trying to figure out if its better, if so how much better, before I purchase it.

Thank you so much!
Alessandro

Has no one tried to compare the data on this?

I’ve been playing with the SDK using an OCC someone (who got a camera quicker than me) recorded for me.

This is a point cloud from a scan at about 50cm from a plaster cast of a (small child’s) leg:

http://www.digitalpurpose.com.au/demo/corescanner/forums/scan040119/model.filtered.pcd

And a screenshot of it (in Cloud Compare):

But my recording is only in low resolution (640x480 and not the best setup) so hard to say. I am expecting my scanner in early Feb when I can start doing some real usage. Happy to do some comparison scans for you then if you are willing to wait.

I also have a D435 but I didn’t get too far into making it work. I did a bit of a scan with it but it didn’t seem that much better than the data I was getting from the original Sensor (don’t hold me to that though, I didn’t deep dive on options).

I’m on the hunt for the best option for cost effective, portable, easy to use body scanning (well, leg scanning, anyway) with enough accuracy to use for Orthotics. Hoping the Core’s quality will get me there but will only know when I have one to play with. Happy to compare notes with your realsense though.

Ah so this is from the Structure sensor using the iPad and not Openni? (The openni sdk lacks some extra calibration found on the iOS SDK). The point cloud data looks noise, which is fine for measuring wood furniture dimensions… but it does not seem to do well with the contour of the leg foot. I was looking into hardware for a similar application and started exploring with the Tango device the Asus phab pro 2 to be specific (unfortunately that is discontinued and google dropped the 3D reconstruction on their devices). Then I purchased a structure sensor, then the D410, and the D415 so far (the problem with the D430/D435 is that it is more for capture with motion rather than the D410/D415 that are geared towards accuracy… on a side note the intel sensors are supposed to work best in outside without glare from the sun). A main reason I was considering also the structure core since it has an IMU and you can probably obtain the pose of the sensor much like the google Tango devices.

I am going to try and get some scans from similar objects that can be scanned somewhere else… like a wall. The intel sensors do produce a lot of wavy noise like on the scan data I have found it to be more than the Tango devices (but the intel sensors have a lot of settings to play with and has been hard to get it right, the low resolution with the hole filling does an ok job and making it smoother. From what I read though for best accuracy you need the max resolution, and I am still working on the quirks).

I will follow up on this, might take a bit… thank you so much Zonski! I do would be interested in collaborating on this.

Great, I’ll let you know when I have more on my end, and when my scanner arrives.

Just to clarify, the scan in my previous post (both the data and screenshot) is from the Core (not the Sensor) and using the new Structure SDK for Windows (which is conceptually similar to OpenNI). But the Core was set to record at 640x480 and I think not really setup best for the use case.

The code is super crude (I’m more a Node and Java dev these days, my C++ is pretty rusty as I haven’t used it for 10 years) but if you are interested it is available here:

https://bitbucket.org/zonski/structure-core-scanner/src/master/

In theory you could run your own tests if you can get this code running - we just need people with Core’s to record OCC files for us. If anyone is out there with a Core already and wants to record some things and share, please do. Otherwise as soon as I have mine, I’ll be recording a few things.