Structure in Education

Hi all -
I am a technology integrator, working with teachers and students on integrating tech into the classroom. Of course, there’s a huge push for Makers, modeling and 3d printing. SO I grabbed a Structure sensor, installed Skanect, and … can’t do a thing. Is there any way that a teacher or student is able to scan, export a useable file, and print using the Structure and an iPad without a Skanect Pro license, or the limits of the scanner app only capturing a single keyframe of an object?

IF the answer is no, I feel this is a bust. Not finding any of my area districts interested in having to pay for hardware and software licenses.

Thanks

The Structure Sensor and the Structure app allows you to be able to scan whole objects into a number of different usable file formats. Here’s a bunch of examples taken with the Structure Sensor and Skanect: https://sketchfab.com/occipital

Could you explain a little more about the issue you are having with Skanect?

Have you taken a look at the following page? https://support.structure.io/article/134-how-do-i-use-skanect-pro-with-my-structure-sensor

Also, have you taken a look at our Getting Started page? https://structure.io/getstarted

Also, there are a number of different applications available for the Structure Sensor on the Apple App Store.

You can find all apps available for the Structure Sensor by doing the following:

• Connect the Structure Sensor to your supported iPad or iPhone

• Navigate to Settings -> General -> About -> Structure Sensor -> Find App for Accessory

This will open the App Store, and display all apps available for the Structure Sensor and your mobile device.

Thanks Anthony. The issue is that I am using Skanect Free. I support 104 school districts in New York. I offer workshops to train users as well as classroom integration of the technology with students in Maker clubs, 3d modeling/tech classes and similar. Considering that there are a few requirements for the hardware in the first place (sensor, ipad, mac or pc with correct graphics card, and 3d printer), the topic of then paying for a license inhibits their interest in pursuing further.

So the question is, how can I work with Structure to perform 360 scans of objects and export them for printing. Free requires fewer than 5,000 faces. Sketchfab download is not allowed if uploaded from Skanect.

So it seems that you aren’t really having an issue with Skanect, but you are having an issue with the 5000 polygon limit present in the free version of Skanect. Is this correct?

We limit the free version of Skanect to 5000 polygons to give users a chance to try out the application before purchasing.

The Structure Sensor does not need to be used with Skanect, however.

Outside of the Skanect application, there are a ton of applications available for the Structure Sensor that allow you to scan and export these scan in various file formats.

As stated above, you can find all apps available for the Structure Sensor by doing the following:

• Connect the Structure Sensor to your supported iPad or iPhone
  • Navigate to Settings -> General -> About -> Structure Sensor -> Find App for Accessory

This will open the App Store, and display all apps available for the Structure Sensor and your mobile device.

We do try our best to help educators use our Structure Sensor in their classrooms. I have just sent you an email that includes some information about Skanect Pro that you may be interested in.

Correct, I think. After some time, I did figure out how to get Skanect to play along with my MBP. I’ve reviewed all the apps available for Structure. The most directly related is still the Scanner app itself, as a vast majority are medical/orthotic or eyewear in nature. I need to simply scan an object (with detail) and be able to export it. Seems Scanner app doesn’t allow for enough detail. I appreciate your continued support.

(and you helped me last week with the broken bracket conversation). Thanks again.

Jim

Great!

It seems that Skanect Pro would be a great fit for your use-case since you a looking for higher fidelity scans that can be provided when using a computer’s processing power instead of just an iPad.

I’ve reached out to your via email for more information about our Skanect Pro license for educators.

As for our Scanner - Structure Sensor sample app, that application is provided within our Structure SDK, found here. It can easily be edited to include higher-resolution color textures. Just have a look at the STColorFrame Class in the reference material for information on which resolutions are supported.