Structure Sensor on Microsoft - Surface Pro 3

Hello,

I would like to know if the Structure Sensor will be fully working on the new Microsoft - Surface Pro 3, also is Skanect license allow me to install the software in my desktop computer and laptop computer.

Yes - although we have not tried ourselves, it should work. Structure Sensor with USB Hacker Cable will work just fine on Windows, and Skanect is supported on Windows as well. Hope this helps!

Thank you very mush jeff, and about the Skanect license can install the software on multiple computers with the same license.

I’ve tried it - gets about 6-9 fps which is just enough to get a decent scan if you move slowly. Not ideal, but it does work.

why is so slow, this tablet is a lot more powerful then the ipad,

The iPad doesn’t do any of the actual processing with the Structure App, it just sends the stream to a computer to do the heavy lifting. Kind of like why digital SLRs don’t need a powerful cpu to capture the pictures, but when you take the raw data over and start doing some real processing, you have to do it on a more powerful desktop.

When you use the Surface Pro with the hacker cable, its doing the capturing and the processing at the same time, a taxing job to say the least.

It’s absolutely right that the taxing work is done onboard the PC/Mac – in Skanect. That said, the Scanner sample from the SDK actually does do reconstruction all onboard the iPad. Although a Surface Pro 3 surely has a lot more raw horsepower than an iPad, the code inside the Structure SDK on iOS is incredibly optimized, and is able to run at desktop-like speeds. So, make sure you check out the Scanner sample if you’ve got an iPad! Unlike Skanect, though, it’s just a developer sample and not a full-fledged product.

I"ll be setting mine up over the next day or so; I’ll keep you informed on how that goes /holds breath

Not to mention skanect works much faster with nvidia gpus and the surface pros only have the Intel gpus. I have the first surface pro which can scan at maybe 4 fps if I can get it to scan at all. I also have the razer pro tablet with an nvidia gpu. It is the same size as my surface and can scan at 15-30 fps depending on the settings. It’s all about the nvidia gpu cores with skanect.

Hi, I´m Ricardo from Lima - Peru. Just got the Structure sensor a couple days ago, don´t have an ipad yet so i´ve been experimenting with a directc connection to a pc via hacker cable. using skanect I can scan only the infrared input but get no video/color data displayed or recorded. Should I also plug the power source to the sensor? I think I´ve understood that when used with the ipad the video source is the ipad´s camera, so how does the video feed work when connected the way I described? Thanks for the help.

I agree that the Razer performs better than the SP3, but with the same settings that get ~6fps on the Surface I only see 10-20fps on the Razer (averaging probably around 15); 30 is a longshot.

I’m getting extrem performance problems with the Surface 3 Pro after 3-4 Minutes of continued recording.
at first it works somewhat well at 7-9 FPS. But as Soon as the Turbo goes down and the CPU hits 85°C it starts throttling and the recording became unsteady.

So i tried via Eltima’s USB network share software and sent it to my home PC with i7-3930k.
While connected directly to USB i get about 25-30 FPS. When using the WiFi (iperf says 22mbits) i get about 19-25 fps but every now and then some heavy fram drops to 5-8 fps.

Sadly you can’t do this via RDP or VNC as the Skanect is rendered in OpenGL which will not be shown…
So an integrated Uplink function into Skanect would be a nice feature. Stream from Windows to another windows!

If i turn all the settings on the razer tablet down to medium or low settings i can gey 30fps. I will scan in this mode then when finished scanning i run the reconstruction at high and the results ar pretty close to scanning in a higher end system. The real trick is the lower settings keeps the frame rates and tracking stable during the scan. Then you can rebuild the high res version without worrying about doing it in real time.

Keep your eyes open for a tablet refresh from Razer to include the 800M series Nvidia GPU, which is the new Maxwell chip that Skanect now takes advantage of. I have an ASUS laptop with an 850M and I consistently get 30 fps.