Usb transfer timeout

Running ubuntu 15.04 x64, trying to read from a structure sensor. I compiled openni2 from source and added export $OPENNI2_INCLUDE=$OPENNI_PATH/Include to my ~/.profile, but I can’t get any of the sample programs (SimpleRead, SimpleViewer) to run at all. I keep getting this error:

After initialization:

SimpleViewer: Device open failed:
	Could not open "1d27/0600@2/9": USB transfer timeout!

I also tried running it with sudo but had the same results.

I discovered later that if I run a program immediately after plugging in the structure sensor it works, but after I exit the program I have to replug it in before it works again. I tried installing the openni2 freenect driver to see if that would help but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. This time I get this error:

OpenNI2-FreenectDriver: Using libfreenect v0.5.3
OpenCV Error: Unspecified error (OpenCVKinect: Device open failed see: 	Could not open "1d27/0600@2/75": USB transfer timeout!

) in CvCapture_OpenNI2, file /home/pnguyen2/code/opencv-git/modules/videoio/src/cap_openni2.cpp, line 237
VIDEOIO(cvCreateCameraCapture_OpenNI2(index)): raised OpenCV exception:

/home/pnguyen2/code/opencv-git/modules/videoio/src/cap_openni2.cpp:237: error: (-2) OpenCVKinect: Device open failed see: 	Could not open "1d27/0600@2/75": USB transfer timeout!

in function CvCapture_OpenNI2

Does anyone know what could be causing this?