Xnonidevice can't initialize stream of type 3

When I run the SimpleViewer.exe in the samples of Openni, I get an error says that ‘xnonidevice can’t initialize stream of type 3’, and I would like to know what’s wrong with that.

Have you followed the Quick Start Guide instructions mentioned in this post?

Specifically, one of the .ini files inside OpenNi have to be modified.

Thanks for your advice. But I’m confused about how to get the RGB-D data in Openni. I use the ipad to take pictures and calibrate RGB data using provided software, but how can I get the calibrated RGB-D data through Openni? Could you give me some advice? Thanks.

Perhaps I didn’t understand your original question clearly:
Are you asking about how to get data with OpenNI on an iPad?

If that’s the case, OpenNI doesn’t exist on iOS.
You have to use our SDK which provides the “device driver” for iOS as well as our libraries that will let you access the raw RGB-D and higher level computer vision functionality such as tracking. The SDK also includes samples apps that should help you get up and running very quickly.

Check out the pinned forum post about our SDK here:

I’m so sorry I didn’t make myself clear. I want to use OpenNI on windows to access the raw RGB-D, though I know there are SDK for iOS can do that. My question is: can OpenNI access the RGB-D data directly ? Or Is there any way to calibrate RGB with depth data on windows just like the way on iPad ? Should I calibrate RGB on one camera with the depth data from another camera by myself ?

I have almost the same problem, trying to get data from the sensor.
As you can see, I’ve set UsbInterface=0 in the file PS1080.ini, but still don’t have any data stream.

At the same time I have Scanect application installed on my computer and it getting data from the camera… So there is no any problem with camera and cable… but still no data from the same hardware setup through MultipleStreamRead.exe or from any samples project

Do you have any hint what could be wrong?

Hi Boris,
You did set UsbInterface=0, but you need to remove the ; in front of it to activate that line. Right now I see:
;UsbInterface=0
But it should be
UsbInterface=0

Thank you, forrest.
Now it works